The Foreclosure Resisters and the New Yorkers for Responsible Lending (NYRL) traveled to New York’s State Capitol in Albany, New York to attend Albany Day on April 17th. The New Yorkers for Responsible Lending invited the Foreclosure Resisters to be a part of their advocacy team for Albany Day. The New Yorkers for Responsible Lending (NYRL) is a “coalition of over 160 non-profit organizations which promotes economic justice as a matter of racial and community equity”.
Some of the policies, we advocated for are:
- support for legislation that protects seniors targeted for marketing of reverse mortgages scams.
- support for legislation that addresses the growing problem of deed theft and mortgage scams.
- keeping payday lending out of New York and support Community Development Financial Institutions (CDFIs) and Community Development Credit Union (CDCU) institutions that meet the residents’ financial needs.
- prohibit the use of credit reports data in the underwriting and pricing of home and auto insurance and
- prohibit unfair and unlawful business practices and deceptive business practices by financial institutions and attorneys.
The guiding principles which support the Albany Day platform are: fair access to suitable and affordable financial services, governmental promotion and support for community reinvestment in lower income neighborhoods, safe and affordable housing and stable communities of color, and zero tolerance for discrimination and exploitative financial practices in New York State.
The Foreclosure Resisters were proud to be a part of and an advocate of Albany Day on April 17th.